It’s time! Applications are open for our 2019 Residency Exchange programme. We welcome artists of all kinds to apply – and all we’re asking in return is for your feedback to help us develop the spaces, and your support in building the community around Studio Garonne.
Please read this page in full and then Click Here to Apply!
Applications will close on 25th January 2019.
If you have any questions feel free to drop us an email. And find us on Instagram @StudioGaronne
What We’re Offering
A two week creative residency here at Studio Garonne during spring or summer 2019. We’re in the process of renovating the building, so these residencies are offered on an exchange basis – you’ll only cover your expenses.
- A bright private bedroom with a double bed and spacious desk
- Private studio space and plenty of shared spaces in which you’re welcome to work as well – including a courtyard and a walled garden
- Communal self-catering kitchen
- Shared bathroom
- Pick up from Saint-Martory or Boussens train stations
What will you need to cover?
- Your travel, travel insurance and visa if applicable
- Your food – we can take you to a supermarket to stock up when you get here!
- €30 to go towards household costs – this will cover basics like cooking oils and spices, washing up liquid and laundry powder, etc.
Who can apply?
Our application form is geared towards artists travelling solo, but we are open to pairs or small groups who are creating work together. Just let us know in the additional comments section if your application includes more than one artist.
We welcome artists practising in any medium – including (but not limited to) visual artists, sculptors, craftspeople, painters, writers, musicians, and theatre practitioners.
Our 2019 residencies will be two weeks long, running in three set blocks during the spring and summer:
16th – 30th April
11th – 25th June
13th – 27th August
You will be asked to select your preferred dates in your application form. Residencies start and finish on Tuesdays and there will be at least two artists in residence per block.
Where are we?
Studio Garonne is in a small town called Saint-Martory in the foothills of the French Pyrenees. The river Garonne runs through the centre of the town, and from the top of the hill behind our place you can see the awe-inspiring mountain range ahead of you.
In the town you can find a bakery; a florist; two cafe/bars; a pizza takeaway; and a post office. There are bus stops and a train station with connections to larger towns nearby, including Toulouse. If you come with a vehicle – or hire one for a day or two – you can drive to beautiful mountain lakes (or to Spain!) in under an hour.
Our nearest airport is Toulouse-Blagnac. There are airport shuttles and trams to Toulouse Matabiau train station every 20 minutes or so, and direct trains from Toulouse Matabiau to Saint-Martory and more frequently to Boussens (Boussens is a 10 minute drive from us, and we’ll happily pick you up).
At time of writing, a one-way ticket from Toulouse Matabiau to Saint-Martory costs €13.50 and the journey is around 50 minutes.
Pau Pyrénées Airport is a little further away but also has train connections to our local stations.
If you come by car we can provide secure parking.
You will have access to a shared kitchen, with fridge and cupboard space to store your food. There isn’t currently a supermarket in Saint-Martory, but we can take you to stock up at a nearby supermarket when you arrive. As mentioned above, there is an amazing bakery 1 minute walk from our front door; and a small food market on Fridays.
Izzy is an experienced yoga teacher and is happy to offer optional yoga and meditation classes on-site during your residency. You can find her teaching website here.
Cost: €30 per 60 minute class/€45 per 90 minute class.
Class dates/times can be booked in at the beginning of each week of your residency, and if more than one artist in residence would like to share classes the cost can be split between you.
We are Jamie and Izzy, and our two year old daughter Frida. We moved from London to France in June 2018 to create a venue for art residencies, yoga retreats and creative workshops. Jamie is a percussionist and sound designer with a background in renovating and restoring arts venues in London – including the ICA and Battersea Arts Centre. Izzy is a writer and yoga teacher, currently working remotely from Saint-Martory as a copywriter for clients in Europe and the US. Studio Garonne is also home to three cats.
What We’re Asking in Exchange
In exchange for your two week residency, we are asking for two things:
- Documentation of your residency. As our project progresses, we are keen to spread the word about Studio Garonne and build a community of interested creatives as well as develop our online presence. So we need your help! We ask that you document your experience here in some way – whether that’s in the form of video, photography, illustration, writing, sculpture, on social media…or any other way you’d like to do it. We’ll then share this on our website and social media platforms – and we’d love for you to share it too.
- Your feedback. We’re working towards launching our full residency programme within the next two years. Towards the end of your residency we’ll ask for an informal discussion so that we can get a sense of your experience of the place, and benefit from any thoughts you might have about the development of the space. You’re also welcome to feedback to us via email after your residency.